Wednesday

The Invitation and Thoughts on September 11

Them and Us- Thoughts on September 11

Each morning as I do my prayers, after I have prayed for all those who have suffered because of the September 11 attacks, I ask, "How can I BE the peace I want to see in the world, today?" Not, how can I CREATE the peace- but how can I BE it- because it becomes clearer and clearer to me that violence and war are not just "out there" but also inside me. And being with the war inside me, taking care of that, is where I have the most influence (although some days it's not much) and where I can do the most immediate good. I believe that how we are ripples out. When I yell at my son for breaking my tape recorder (again!) instead of sitting with my feelings of anger- the war ripples outward. When I find a moment of calm, am able to be with myself and the world as it is and be still- peace ripples outward. I have become more and more aware of how our words, actions, attitude, demeanour, and thoughts either water the seeds of violence or the seeds of real peace in ourselves and in the world.
And peace- the real internal peace of accepting completely what IS in the present moment as simply what IS within myself and in the world, so I can hold it tenderly and take the war our of it- is rare.
This is by Oriah. You may know her famous poem - The Invitation:

It doesn’t interest me
what you do for a living.
I want to know
what you ache for
and if you dare to dream
of meeting your heart’s longing.

It doesn’t interest me
how old you are.
I want to know
if you will risk
looking like a fool
for love
for your dream
for the adventure of being alive.

just part of Oriah's poem.
Oriah is first and foremost a story-teller, a lover of words and symbols and the stories that lift our spirits, open our hearts and offer us ways to see patterns and create meaning in our lives. Visit her site.

 
Purchase Oriah's book -The Invitation (Plus) In this bestselling book, Oriah expands on the wisdom found within her poem, which presents a powerful challenge to those who long to live an authentic life.
In a world of endless small talk, constant traffic jams, and overburdened schedules, "The Invitation" opens the door to a new way of life - intimacy, honesty, and peace with ourselves, others, and the world around us. Oriah invites us to open ourselves to all that is possible. The Invitation is a guide to overcoming the obstacles that stand in our way and to discovering the true beauty that life has to offer.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true... what is inside us is what we portray to the world... I need to ripple peace out of me, not always easy but losing weight was never easy and now I am doing that :)

    Everything is possible :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input - we love comments